“Focus precedes success.” Bobb Biehl
I recently got the question, “How do you keep yourself focused on your goals?”
One of the things I do to stay focused on my own goals is to follow what I teach my clients. I help them not just set goals but achieve them so they can pursue their passions in life.
I have an 8-step method to achieving goals that’s always worked for me and also works for many of my clients.
The method has helped me achieve several short-term objectives over the past few years that have added up to the achievement of some long-term and ongoing goals.
The goals I continually focus on include:
- Improving my career coaching business.
- Paying off any and all debts.
- Saving more money.
- Learning new things.
- Having fun and adventurous experiences.
- Growing spiritually.
For example, just last year I…
- released my 2nd book,
- raised $2,500 for my first mission trip,
- traveled on that mission trip to the jungles of the Amazon in South America (the 4th continent I’ve had the opportunity to visit in my lifetime),
- took a business marketing class and a financial success class,
- increased my business’s revenue by 50%,
- spent more time traveling to see family,
- took a vacation to Florida,
- went on a silent retreat,
- and paid off my credit card debt,
…all while running a business and having to undergo two unexpected surgeries with 6 weeks of out-of-work recovery in that same year.
4 Things That Keep Me Focused on My Goals
When I look at the above list considering all I went through with the surgeries, I wonder how in the world I accomplished so much in such a short time.
But I know there were four things that helped stay focused and achieve all of the above:
Writing down my goals.
This one simple act made it more likely for me to achieve my goals.
I noticed most of the things I wrote down got accomplished while most of the things I didn’t write down, didn’t get accomplished.
Following the 8-Step Goal-Achievement Plan I’ve developed for my clients.
You don’t have to be a client to utilize this plan. It’s available for free when you subscribe to my newsletter.
Keeping track of my goals and the steps to achieving them in my Passion Planner.
A Passion Planner is a wonderful calendar resource that lets you map out your goals for the year and then shows you how to prioritize the the steps to achieving those goals.
“The key to balance is scheduling your priorities a year in advance.” Bobb Biehl (executive coach and author)
The other great thing about the Passion Planner is that it has wonderful reflection questions at the end of each month, such as:
- What were the three biggest lessons you learned this past month?
- How are you different between this past month and the month before it?
- What three things can you improve on this upcoming month?
This is the most important key to keeping myself focused on my goals!
Without those four things, I never, ever would’ve been able to achieve all that I did last year.
While other methods work better for some people, this is what works best for me in staying focused on my goals.
I’ve also seen it work well for many of my clients.
Perhaps it could work for you too!